Not all Halloween sweets are created equal. After all, anyone can pick up a bag of pre-wrapped miniatures from the supermarket. Taking the time to bake your own cookies puts you into another trick-or-treating class altogether. These gingersnaps from At Home combine the fragrant spices of fall with a tempting layer of chocolate and crunchy walnuts for a sweet yet sophisticated treat.
Gingersnaps Dipped in Chocolate with Toasted Walnuts
Yields 48 cookies
¾ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
¼ cup regular molasses
1 teaspoon white or apple cider vinegar
½ teaspoon table salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup raw shelled walnuts
6 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1. Adjust an oven rack to the upper-middle position and preheat oven to 350°. Line a cookie sheet with foil.
2. Using a mixer, cream butter and sugar. Add egg, molasses, vinegar, salt, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and cloves. Mix until combined. Add flour and mix to combine.
3. Roll the dough into small balls—they should be smaller than a walnut but bigger than a marble. Arrange them on the cookie sheet, leaving 2 inches between each cookie and bake for 12-13 minutes
. Cool cookies on a wire rack and leave oven on.
4. While cookies are cooling, prepare walnuts by spreading them on a cookie sheet and baking them for 7 minutes. Remove from oven and rub toasted walnuts in a dishtowel to remove some of the loose skin. Cool and chop fine.
5. Line a cookie sheet with plastic wrap and spread chopped nuts on a plate. Place chopped chocolate in the top of a double boiler. Heat over simmering water until chocolate melts. Grasping one cookie at a time, dip to form a crescent-moon edge of chocolate on one side of the cookie, then dip the coated area of the cookie into the nuts, pressing gently to make them stick. Set each dipped cookie on the prepared cookie sheet. When all cookies have been dipped, chill them in the refrigerator for 10 minutes to set the chocolate.